The Gospel of Mark
Book Outline & Menu of Notes
Key & Guide to Notes
- The Gospel of Mark -
- Note: The Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) are very similar accounts. Most events are considered in the Book Notes on Matthew.
- Therefore, most of the commentary (in the Book Notes) on Mark and Luke considers passages which do not appear in Matthew.
- See How to use the Book Notes on Mark & Luke.
- Outline of Mark:
- I. The manifestation of the Servant-Son, 1:1-11
- II. The Servant-Son tested as to His fidelity, 1:12,13
- III. The Servant-Son at work, 1:14- 13:37
- 1:14-45 Call of Peter & Andrew; Demons cast out; A leper healed.
- ch.2 A palsied man healed; Call of Levi; Parables of Cloth & Bottles; The Lord of the Sabbath.
- ch.3 A withered hand & multitudes healed; Twelve chosen; The unpardonable sin.
- ch.4 Parables of the Sower, the Candle, and the Mustard Seed; Jesus stills the storm.
- ch.5 The maniac of Gadara; The woman with an issue of blood; Jairus' daughter raised.
- ch.6 Jesus at Nazareth; The 12 sent out; Herod's guilt for John's murder; Feeding of 5,000; Jesus walks on the sea, and heals at Gennesaret.
- ch.7 The Pharisees rebuked; The Syrophenician woman's daughter; A deaf & dumb man healed.
- ch.8 Feeding of 4,000; The leaven of the Pharisees; A blind man healed; Peter confesses Jesus is the Christ.
- ch.9 The Transfiguration; Jesus heals the demoniac son of a faithless father; Jesus foretells His death & resurrection, Rebukes self-exalting disciples, and Warns of hell fire.
- ch.10 Jesus' Law of divorce, Blessing of children; The rich young ruler; Jesus Foretells His death & resurrection, Counsels His disciples to be servants; Blind Bartimaeus receives sight.
- ch.11 Jesus presents Himself as King, Rebukes the fig tree, Purifies the Temple, and Answers officials who question His authority.
- ch.12 Parable of the householder requiring fruit from his vineyard; Questions: Tribute to Caesar? Marriage and resurrection? The Greatest Commandment? Whose Son is the Christ?; The widow's mite.
- ch.13 The Olivet Discourse: Signs & Course of the Age, The Great Tribulation, The Lord's Return; The Parable of the Fig Tree; Jesus warns us to watch.
- IV. The Servant-Son "obedient unto death," 14:1- 15:47
- ch.14 The plot to kill Jesus; Jesus anointed by Mary of Bethany; Judas promises to betray Jesus; The Passover meal, the Lord's Supper; Peter's denial foretold; Jesus prays at Gethsemane; Jesus arrested and brought before the elders; Peter denies Jesus.
- ch.15 Jesus delivered to Pilate; Jesus rejected, Barabbas released; Jesus crowned with thorns, crucified and buried.
- V. The ministry of the risen Servant-Son. 16:1-20
- His resurrection, commission, and ascension.
[Elements in the above outline were adapted from the Scofield Reference Bible, pub. 1917.]
Go to The Book opening page.