Bible Study Outlines
Volume 3, Lesson 5
by C.I. Scofield
Faith and Works
Faith and works are both divinely appointed, and are both found in every true believer, but each has its own place and use. The believer is saved by faith, and rewarded according to his works.
- The importance of faith
- Hebrews 11:6 - "Without faith it is impossible to please Him"
Without faith, we may be friendly, generous, and moral. We may even please men, but we cannot please God.
- What is faith?
- Saving faith is believing the record God gave of His Son
- 1John 5:10-12 - "This is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son." Belief in, not just knowledge of.
- Ephesians 1:12 - "Trusted in Christ"
- Romans 10:9,10 - "With the heart man believeth"
- What faith does
- What works cannot do
- Ephesians 2:8,9 - "Saved through faith... not of works"
- Galatians 2:21 - "If righteousness come by the law [works], then Christ is dead in vain"
- Romans 3:20 - "By the deeds of the law... no flesh be justified"
- Acts 13:39 - "Ye could not be justified by the law"
- The right place for good works
- Titus 3:8 - "Be careful to maintain good works"
- Ephesians 2:10 - "Created in Christ Jesus unto good works... that we should walk in them"
- The profit of good works
Believers are not saved by works, but wholly by faith. Yet, it is true that they are rewarded in heaven according to their works.
Return to Bible Study Outlines, Volume 3 menu
Return to Bible Study Outlines menu
Return to Resource Menu
All four volumes of
"Bible Study Outlines" by C.I. Scofield
are available in attractive 44 page printed booklets,
from the publisher:
Moments With the Book
P.O. Box 322
Bedford, PA 15522 USA
Order online at: www.mwtb.org
Go to The Book opening page.