Bible Study Outlines
Volume 2, Lesson 5
by C.I. Scofield
Christ Was "Made..."
Nothing is more helpful to the believer who seeks complete rest in the work of Christ that to look at the things -- partly tragic, and terrible -- partly exalted and mighty -- which Christ has been "made."
It is very beautiful and instructive to see that our blessed Lord always took the place of perfect submission. He "made Himself of no reputation" (Philippians 2:7) and there stopped. All else that He was and is, the Father "made" Him. He would not permit either Satan or man to confer distinction upon Him (Matthew 4:8-10; John 6:15), but found all His delight in simply doing His Father's will -- equally willing to be "made a curse" (Galatians 3:13), or "High Priest" (Hebrews 6:20).
He was made sin
He was made a curse
He was made wisdom
- He was made flesh
He was made our righteousness
He was made our sanctification
- 1Corinthians 1:30 - "Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification and redemption"
- Luke 21:15 - "I will give you a mouth and wisdom"
- Acts 6:10 - "The wisdom... by which He spake"
He was made our redemption
- Hebrews 10:10 - "We are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ"
He was made better
He was made High Priest
He was made surety (one who is responsible for another)
- 1Peter 1:18 - "Redeemed... with the precious blood of Christ"
Return to Bible Study Outlines, Volume 2 menu
- Hebrews 7:22 - "Made a surety of a better testament" (see Genesis 15:8-15)
- Hebrews 8:12,13 - "Their sins... will I remember no more"
This defines the new covenant where Christ is God's surety. We sometimes think of Christ as our surety to the Father, as the old hymn says: "Before the throne my surety stands." In so thinking we lose the blessed truth, which is, that Christ is God's surety to us, that He will faithfully keep the New Covenant.
Return to Bible Study Outlines menu
Return to Resource Menu
All four volumes of
"Bible Study Outlines" by C.I. Scofield
are available in attractive 44 page printed booklets,
from the publisher:
Moments With the Book
P.O. Box 322
Bedford, PA 15522 USA
Order online at: www.mwtb.org
Go to The Book opening page.