Bible Study Outlines
Volume 1, Lesson 15
by C.I. Scofield
Sin, Part I
The Entrance of Sin
- The tempter's tool
Satan uses many things for his purposes. In Eden, he found the serpent the most "subtle" of all creatures. The word "subtle" is associated throughout Scripture with "wisdom," "deceit," and "craft." Exclude from the mind the idea of a writhing reptile -- that is wholly the effect of the curse. The primal "serpent" may have been beautiful and graceful. Satan is most dangerous when he appears as an angel of light (2Corinthians 11:14).
The tempter's work
- Whatever Satan uses for his purposes is identified with him
- Genesis 3:14 - "The Lord God said unto the serpent." God addresses Satan as a serpent.
- Matthew 16:23 - "[Jesus] said unto Peter, 'Get thee behind me, Satan.'" Here, Satan's tool is an apostle.
- The association often brings consequences for the tool Satan uses
- Genesis 3:14 - "Upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat." The serpent suffered the results of being used by Satan.
The seeking God
The Eden promise
Return to Bible Study Outlines, Volume 1 menu
- He suggests doubt in the goodness of God
- The woman adds to the word of God
- Satan denies the literal truth of God's word
- Genesis 3:4 - "Ye shall not surely die." It is a favorite method of Satan in this day to question the natural, obvious, meanings of Scripture in favor of some so-called "spiritual" interpretation.
- Satan's appeal to pride
- Satan's three-fold appeal (compare with 1John 2:16
- Genesis 3:6 - "The tree was good for food" (the lust of the flesh)
- Genesis 3:6 - "It was pleasant to the eyes" (the lust of the eyes)
- Genesis 3:6 - "A tree to be desired to make one wise" (the pride of life)
- The result of the first sin
- Genesis 3:10 - "I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself." An awareness of guilt and shame.
- Genesis 3:7-24 - "Drove out the man." Separation from God, which is spiritual death.
Return to Bible Study Outlines menu
Return to Resource Menu
All four volumes of
"Bible Study Outlines" by C.I. Scofield
are available in attractive 44 page printed booklets,
from the publisher:
Moments With the Book
P.O. Box 322
Bedford, PA 15522 USA
Order online at: www.mwtb.org
Go to The Book opening page.